As you age, you may notice your teeth starting to darken. This is because tooth enamel begins to wear away or crack, exposing the dentin underneath. Dentin is not as dense as enamel and absorbs colors from food more easily. But you’re not doomed to pay for whitening treatments every day.
How to Avoid Stained Teeth
Though there are more ways you can avoid stained teeth, here are five of the most important:
Staining Drinks to Avoid
There are certain drinks that can stain your teeth. They include:
- Black tea – opt for green, white, or herbal teas instead
- Acidic juices, such as lemonade or grapefruit juice
- Other fruit juices, such as cranberry juice
- Red wine
These drinks should be consumed very moderately. It might help to drink them through a straw, so you can minimize contact with the teeth.
What to Eat
There are also certain foods that can stain your teeth, such as:
- Lemons and other citrus fruits
- Soy sauce
- Balsamic vinegar
- Tomato sauce
But there are also foods that will help whiten your teeth naturally. These foods include:
- Crunchy fruits like apples and strawberries, which both rub out stains and dissolve them
- Crunchy vegetables, such as celery and carrots
- Yogurt, milk, and cheese
Lifestyle Habits to Avoid or Change
One habit that is especially harmful for teeth is smoking. Smoke from cigarettes is one of the main culprits when teeth begin to stain, due to the everyday exposure to cigarettes. You can greatly increase your chances of retaining white teeth if you can quit smoking.
Oral Care Habits
Proper oral care habits will reduce both plaque and stains. Habits that you should start, increase, or continue include:
- Brushing in the morning, before bed, and after each meal
- Using an electric toothbrush
- Using a whitening toothpaste with peroxide
- Brushing gently so you don’t wear away enamel
- Flossing every day
- Rinsing after brushing and after each meal
- Using an antibacterial mouthwash
Visit Your Dentist Regularly
Regular visits to your dentist will help you stay on top of stains. They can examine your teeth and tell you if you need to work on whitening your teeth. They will give you advice specific to your situation. They may even offer whitening treatments.
Cosmetic Dentist in Brentwood, Missouri
Brentwood Family Dentistry in Brentwood, Missouri, can help you with your cosmetic dentistry needs. We offer both in-office and take-home whitening treatments. We also offer bonding, fillings, veneers, crowns, and orthodontics. Contact Brentwood Family Dentistry today to discuss how we can improve the appearance and health of your teeth.